Governor Cuomo and the NYS Department of Health have released analyses of the “American Health Care Act” drafted by the GOP.
DOH’s conclusions are:
- Over 1 million New Yorkers would face a significant loss in health care coverage under the plan.
- Over $4.5 billion in costs would be shifted to state, counties, and safety net hospitals over the next four years increasing the tax burden on residents and putting countless healthcare providers in jeopardy.
- At least $2.4 billion of these costs will be shifted annually beginning in 2020. This burden could grow even larger when the impact of Medicaid block grants is taken into account.
- $400 million in tax credits used by New Yorkers to purchase health insurance on the New York State of Health insurance exchange would be lost and replaced in some cases with alternative subsidies which are not related ability to pay.
- Wide range of benefits provided for under the Affordable Care Act are removed and savings are shifted to wealthy individuals and corporations.