Peer Counselor, Short-Term Crisis Respite & Transitional Step Down Housing (Full Time & Part-Time Positions Available)
***Lived experience as a consumer of mental health services is required***
Function: Provides supportive counseling, promotes the development of skills for coping with and managing behavioral health symptoms, and assists program guests in developing community living skills.
Reports to: Program Director, Short-Term Crisis Respite & Transitional Step Down Housing
– Acts as role model provides empathy and support to program participants (“guests”).
– Regularly assesses guests’ functional skills as well as their ability to care for their health and safety.
– Provides hands-on assistance with planning and preparing nutritious meals, maintaining living space, personal hygiene, and other activities of daily living.
– Monitors guest medication, including adherence and side-effects.
– Trains guests in safety procedures and conducts fire drills and self-preservation tests.
– Provides training in self-advocacy.
– Assists participants with conflict resolution.
– Provides health and wellness coaching, training in developing coping strategies and with symptom management.
– Develops Wellness and Recovery Action Plans (WRAPS) with guests.
– Plans and facilitates group socialization and recreational activities.
– Leads Wellness Self-Management and other peer support groups.
– Provides transportation training and escorts to appointments.
– Alerts Coordinator to incidents, regressions and high risk behaviors.
– Provides crisis intervention in the event of an emergency.
– Documents services delivered, guest response to service, progress, regressions and incidents in compliance with agency procedures.
– Participates in the development, review and updating of transitional support plans and personal safety plans.
– Oversees maintenance of apartments, inventories furniture, and alerts Coordinator to maintenance problems.
– Staffs Emergency Cell Phone on a rotating basis.
– Attends initial and ongoing training on Intentional Peer Support, Whole Health Action Management and other training as requested by supervisory personnel.
– Duties as assigned by supervisor.
Salary: $33,000 – $36,000 (commensurate with experience and certification) plus generous benefits.
Qualifications: A current or past consumer of mental health services with a commitment to assist others in recovery and rehabilitation. Lived experience as a consumer of mental health services is required. The ability to teach, counsel, mentor and work well with others. Good communication skills, including basic reading and writing. Peer certifications preferred. Experience in crisis intervention preferred.
Email a resume, cover letter and contact information for 3 professional references to:
Director, Human Resources and Information Management